School Nurse – Open Position
Responsible for providing students, 5-21 yrs. of age, with basic health services throughout the school day which includes managing students who have chronic health conditions and/or disabilities; giving student’s medication as needed; working with parents; and, assisting teachers with student care plans.
Reports Directly to the Director of Education
11 Month Education Model (School Year + ESY)
Monday – Friday
7 hours per day
Graduate of an approved School of Nursing with RN degree with current approved RN license. Certification as a School Nurse required. BLS/CPR Certification required.
Minimum 2 years’ experience providing nursing care to students in a school-setting. Experience in a special education environment preferred
- Principles and practices underlying professional nursing in a school environment.
- Primary care of children 5-21 years of age with special learning and emotional needs.
- Current trends in nursing and of literature in the fields of school health.
- State and local laws relating to health and social issues.
- First aid intervention skills.
- Computers and software applications.
- Ability to Manage Change.
- Ability to Provide a High Level of Customer Service.
- Ability to Provide Professional Services to both internal and external customers in a collaborative/team environment.
- Ability to be Innovative and Creative.
- Must comply with Act 168 and submit a completed Sexual Misconduct Form.
- Must to able obtain and maintain a satisfactory PA criminal background check, child abuse and FBI clearances.
- Must pass a drug test, as well as, a TB Test;
- Must be able and willing to drive and have a valid driver’s license.
This position requires a high level of energy. Physical activities can include both sitting and standing for long periods of time; lifting, climbing, bending/stooping, grasping and pulling. Must have full range of motion in order to provide possible emergency care and/or administer effective/safe CPI techniques. This position requires walking and could include working in both an indoor environment as well as an outdoor environment (cold/hot).
- Promote and protect the optimal health status of school-age children in a special education environment.
- Provide health assessments.
- Work with parents to obtains student health history as needed.
- Screen and evaluate findings of deficit in vision, hearing, growth, etc.
- Observe the child for development and health patterns in making nursing
- Identify abnormal health findings.
- Develop and implement student health plans.
- Interpret the health status of students to parents and school personnel.
- Initiate referral to parents, school personnel or community health resources
for intervention, remediation and follow through.
- Provide ongoing health counseling with students, parents, school personnel
or health agencies.
- Utilize existing health resources to provide appropriate care of students.
- Maintain, evaluate and interpret cumulative health data to accommodate the individual needs of students
- Plan and implement school health management protocols
- Assist in the development of procedures and provides for emergency nursing management for injuries/illnesses
- Assist in the control of communicable diseases.
- Provide health education and anticipatory guidance
- Provide direct health education, and health counseling to assist students
and families in making decisions on health and lifestyles that affect health.
- Participate in health education directly and indirectly for the improvement of
health by teaching persons to become more assertive health consumers and to
assume greater responsibility for their own health.
- Serve as a resource person to the school staff members in health instruction.
- Coordinate school and community health activities and serve as a liaison health professional between the home, school and community.
- Act as a resource person in promoting health careers.
- Engage in research and evaluation of school health services to act as a change agent for school health programs and school nursing practices.
- Provide consultation in the formation of health policies, goals and objectives
for the school.
How To Apply
Apply for this job position today by submitting the below PDF application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of The Pathway School to provide equal opportunity in all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation or the presence of any disability.
Dear Pathway Families: Over the last several weeks, my leadership team and I have met regarding our campus reopening plans. Additionally, I have been in contact with the state and local Departments of Health regarding guidance to schools during the...
In light of the rapidly increasing number of COVID-19 cases in our region, combined with two confirmed cases of COVID-19 on The Pathway School campus, we have made the difficult decision to close our campus to in-person instruction and transition...
This past week, The Pathway School's students enjoyed trick-or-treating and the fall season in a safe and socially distanced way! Staff volunteered at numerous candy tables throughout Pathway's 12-acre campus for the students to participate in a...
Learn more about The Pathway School
The mission of The Pathway School is to build academic, social, and life skills in students with special needs to promote their success and independence after Pathway.