Classroom Teacher – Open Position
Responsible for planning, developing, delivering and evaluating appropriate individualized educational services, learning programs and instruction for special needs students in both self-contained and integrated settings in consultation with other school personnel.
Reports Directly to the School Principal
Bachelor’s Degree in special education from an accredited college or university.
- Pennsylvania State Special Education Certification K-12 is preferred.
- Instructional II and a Secondary Certification in an academic area is a huge plus.
- Behavior management and/or Autism certification or training a plus.
Minimum of 1-year experience working in a special education environment with students who may have significant social and emotional needs.
- During the COVID epidemic, Pathway has put many safety measures in place to ensure the safety of our staff and our students. The ability to work virtually if needed or if necessary is required.
- The ability to wear a mask when live on campus, until notified otherwise by the school, is required.
- The ability to utilize online curriculum and technology tools when needed.
- Ability to work with Individualized Education Plans (IEP’s).
- Ability to learn and apply Pathway’s School-Wide Positive Behavior Intensive Support System (PBIS), as well as individual student Behavior Support Plans.
- Demonstrated ability to work with students that have moderate to severe social and emotional difficulties.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt curriculum to meet students’ academic needs as well as motivate students to engage in the learning process both live and virtually.
- Demonstrated ability to follow established procedures when students are in crisis.
- Ability to Manage Change.
- Ability to Provide a High Level of Customer Service.
- Ability to Provide Professional Services to both internal and external customers.
- Ability to be Innovative and Creative.
- Must comply with Act 168 and submit a completed Sexual Misconduct Form.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a satisfactory PA criminal background check, Child Abuse & FBI clearances and pass a drug test, as well as a TB Test;
- Must be able and willing to drive and have a valid PA driver’s license.
This position requires a high level of energy. Physical activities can include both sitting and standing for long periods of time; lifting, climbing, bending/stooping, grasping and pulling. Must have full range of motion in order to provide possible emergency care and/or administer effective/safe CPI techniques. This position requires walking and could include working in both an indoor environment as well as an outdoor environment (cold/hot).
Develops an individualized education program (IEP) for each student assigned to classroom-based on current educational and emotional needs. This includes related service goals and behavioral assessments.
Revises IEP, when required, subject to established procedures.
Requests further educational assessment information when needed from educational specialists or consultative assistance from related services in the psych or behavior departments.
Maintains assessment/evaluation information and a current copy of the IEP for each assigned student in classroom files for use in planning instruction.
Shares IEP information with assistants and/or 1:1 staff; makes certain that staff clearly understands their IEP responsibilities; maintains appropriate documentation.
Prepares classroom lesson plans applying differentiated teaching techniques and specifically designed instruction.
Instructs assigned students according to the established IEP goals, designated objectives and Pennsylvania curriculum guidelines.
Applies preventive techniques to manage student behavior in the classroom.
Monitors student progress on IEP goals and maintains a record of each student’s instruction, including IEP objectives mastered.
Collects and maintains all appropriately student data as directed by his/her supervisor.
Prepares for and contributes to student team meetings, parent-team conferences and IEP planning meetings.
Writes student progress reports as determined by Education Supervisor.
Administers informal and standardized educational tests.
Requisitions textbooks, instructional materials and supplies as needed through established procedures.
Makes appropriate and effective use of the assigned Instructional Coordinator and any PCAs assigned to the classroom.
Contributes to in-service education programs at the request of an Educational Supervisor and/or Education Director.
Participates in the development of curriculum, instructional materials and techniques.
Assists in developing and carrying out research or project plans as assigned by the Principal.
Any other duties, consistent with the functions of the Education department and job description, which he/she is qualified to perform, assigned by an appropriate supervisor.
How To Apply
Apply for this job position today by submitting the below PDF application and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of The Pathway School to provide equal opportunity in all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation or the presence of any disability.
When the pandemic caused everything to shut down at a moment’s notice, some projects at Pathway were left hanging in limbo. This includes engineering and woodworking projects our students were working on with Pathway Teacher Mr. Dave Berdis. To...
Pathway's Director of Admissions, Diana Phifer, answers your questions on this summer's Extended School Year program. When is Pathway’s 2021 ESY Program and how long does it go for? Tuesday, July 6th through Friday, August 13th. Monday...
Pathway Celebrates Read Across America virtually which included Special Celebrity and Elected Official Guests
(Photo L-R: Ukee Washington, CBS Philly; Maysoon Zayid, Actress and Comedian; Giselle Fetterman, Second Lady of Pennsylvania; and Lenoard Haas, Broadway Actor.) During the week of March 1st-5th, Pathway held its annual Read Across America...
Learn more about The Pathway School
The mission of The Pathway School is to build academic, social, and life skills in students with special needs to promote their success and independence after Pathway.